Fabulous Rocketeers Photo/Historical Collection 1952

336th Squadron of the 4th Fighter Interceptor Wing

Squadron Commander:

July 1951 - March 1952 Major Richard D. Creighton

March 10, 1952 to July 1952 Major Felix Asla, Jr.

August 1, 1952 - July 1953 Major Louis Green




4th FIW, 336th, Kimpo AFB, July 1952

Front Row-

1. Capt. Q.C. Ellingson

2. -Not a Pilot-

3. Col. Ralf Keyes (1 kill)

4. Maj. John Kozey

5. Maj. Charles Owens (2 kills)

6. Maj. Felix Asla, Squadron Commander (4 kills)

7. Capt. Richard Moyle (1 kill)

8. Lt. James Cuddy

9. Lt. Richard Sizemore

10. Lt. Joe Romack

11. Lt. Joseph Fields (1.5 kills)

Middle Row-

1. Lt Willard Dunbar

2. Capt. D.J. Dennehy (1 kill)

3. Lt. William Ellis

4. Lt. W.R. McCoy

5. Capt. Bill Harding

6. Maj. Robinson Risner (Ace. 8 kills)

7. Lt. K.P. Presson

8. Lt. P.J. Fredrick (3 kills)

9. Lt. J.E. McElvain

10. Lt. Ted Hurst

11. Lt. R. Lamprecht

12. -Not a Pilot-

13. Lt. Joe Lockhart

14. -Not a Pilot-

15. F/O Dennis Dunlop (RAF)

16. Lt. Jeff Dibrell

17. Lt. William Angle (1 kill)

18. Lt. Frank Arbuckle (1 kill)

19. Lt. Buck Coates

Back Row-

1. Lt. Donald McLean (1 kill)

2. Capt. R.W. Mckittrick (1 kill)

3. Lt. Gerald Lyvere (1 kill)

4. Lt Cliff Fenell

5. Capt. E.C. Lavender

6. Lt. J.E. Fagan

7. Lt. J.E. Dews

8. Lt. Joe Logan

9.- Not a Pilot-



Capt. Brook Liles "Sweetie Pie"
336th FIS

F-86 Sabre (by Aircraft Films - DVD 2004)

(The 4th Fighter Wing in the Korean War - Larry Davis)



Capt. Herbert E. Sharp FU-123 (s/n 49-1123)
4th FIG; writeoff on 5-18-1952 Pilot: Sharp

KORWALD Circumstances of Loss: Downed by MiGs, successful bail out at mouth of Yalu River, rescued

[336th Capt. Herbert E. Sharp on 05.18.1952 Status: RSC]




FU-132 (s/n 49-1132)
336th FIS

(4th Fighter Interceptor Wing yearbook - 1952)




Squadron Leader Graham Hulse (RAF)
336th FIS

SabreJet Classics Volume 17, Number 1




Lt. Joseph Fields FU-175 (s/n 49-1175)

"Peg O My Heart" / "Pauls Mig Killer"

336th FIS

FU-175 (s/n 49-1175) "Peg-O-My-Heart" / "Pauls Mig Killer"

(F-86 Sabres of the 4th Fighter Interceptor Wing - Thomspon)

FU-175 (s/n 49-1175) "Peg-O-My-Heart" / "Tiger"

(F-86 Sabres of the 4th Fighter Interceptor Wing - Thomspon)

FU-175 (s/n 49-1175) "Peg-O-My-Heart" / "Tiger"



2/Lt. Vance R. Frick FU-178 (s/n 49-1178)
336th FIS; writeoff on 6-21-1952 Pilot: Frick

KORWALD Circumstances of Loss: 4 MiG-15s vs. 4 F-86s, downed by MiGs 3 mi S of Uiju

[336th 2/Lt. Vance R. Frick on 06.21.1952 Status: RMC]




Capt. Robert W. McKittrick

Capt. Robert W. McKittrick - photo submitted by David Von Brock.

Written on the back of this picture: "May 1952 Taken in Korea; 100 missions in a jet; Captain at the time; Major now Dec 12 1960" - photo submitted by David Von Brock.

This is from a Edwardsville Ill newspaper article about a Mig "shootdown' over Pyongyang while Robert was a member of the 4th Interceptor Wing . "Not sure of the date however the articles on the reverse side place the newspaper article around May or June -- not sure of the year but I'm guessing 1952" - photo submitted by David Von Brock.



Capt. John F. Lane FU-255 (49-1255)
336th FIS; writeoff on 5-20-1952 Pilot: Lane

KORWALD Circumstances of Loss: attacked by two enemy aircraft approximately 40 miles northeast of Sinuiju. Last seen spinning earthward near XE 8565.

[336th Capt. John F. Lane on 05.20.1952 Status: MIA]



FU-272 (s/n 49-1272)
336th FIS

(Above text should note 336th, not 335th)

FU-272 91272 (s/n 49-1272) / FU-132 91132 (s/n 49-1132) / FU-175 91175 (s/n 49-1175)

FU-272 previously had the names "Old Leroy / The Bald Eagle / Wham Bam" 335th

F-86 Sabre - History of the Sabre and the FJ Fury (by Robert F. Dorr)




Capt. Quentin C. Ellingson FU-316 (s/n 49-1316)
335th FIS, 336th FIS; writeoff on 7-10-1952 Pilot: Ellingson

KORWALD Circumstances of Loss: Poss fuel system failure, engine exploded, caught fire shortly after take off, successful bail out 6 mi N of K-14

[336th Capt. Quentin C. Ellington on 07.10.1952 Status: NIJ]

(4th Fighter Interceptor Wing yearbook - 1952)




1/Lt. John E. Dews FU-586 (s/n 51-2586)
336th FIS; writeoff on 4-1-1952 Pilot: Dews

KORWALD Circumstances of Loss: Downed by MiG, bailed out over Cho-do, helo rescue

[336th 1/Lt. John E. Dews on 04.01.1952 Status: RSC]

(4th Fighter Interceptor Wing yearbook - 1952)




2/Lt. Henry A. Sibley FU-633 (s/n 50-633)
336th FIS; writeoff on 5-9-1952 Pilot: Shipley

KORWALD Circumstances of Loss: Returning from a combat mission, poss hydraulic failure, experienced control problems, crashed landed at K-14, caught fire

[336th 2/Lt. Henry A. Sibley on 05.09.1952 Status: INJ]




FU-648 (s/n 50-648)

"Eight Ball Express" / "Pretty Mary"

336th FIS

FU-648 (s/n 50-648) "8 Ball Express" / "Pretty Mary" Capt. Caly O. Keen

F-86 Sabre - History of the Sabre and the FJ Fury (by Robert F. Dorr)




1/Lt. Lester F. Page FU-655 (s/n 50-655)
336th FIS; writeoff on 1-6-1952 Pilot: Page

KORWALD Circumstances of Loss: Downed by MiG-15, 4 F-86s attacked by 4 MiGs

[334th 1/Lt. Lester F. Page on 01.06.1952 Status: MIA]




1/Lt. Arthur J. Cuddy FU-667 (s/n 50-667)
335th FIS; writeoff on 9-15-1952 Pilot: Cuddy

KORWALD Circumstances of Loss: Engine blew up, bailed out N of Cho-do

[336th 1/Lt. Arthur J. Cuddy on 09.15.1952 Status: RSC]

(The 4th Fighter Wing in the Korean War - Larry Davis)

(4th Fighter Interceptor Wing yearbook - 1952)




2/Lt. John E. Fagan FU-679 (s/n 50-679)
336th FIS; writeoff on 10-11-1952 Pilot: Fagan

KORWALD Circumstances of Loss: Downed by MiG, bailed out over west coast of NK, rescued from mud flats

[336th 2/Lt. John E. Fagan on 10.11.1952 Status: RSC]

(4th Fighter Interceptor Wing yearbook - 1952)




1/Lt. John P. Green FU-686 (s/n 50-686)
336th FIS; writeoff on 2-7-1952 Pilot: Green

KORWALD Circumstances of Loss: Took off on combat mission, engine exploded, caught fire, ejection seat malfunctioned, bailed out at low altitude 20 mi N of K-14

[336th 1/Lt. John P. Green on 02.07.1952 Status: INJ]

(The 4th Fighter Wing in the Korean War - Larry Davis)




2/Lt. Joe A. Logan FU-688 (s/n 50-688)
334th FIS, 336th FIS; writeoff on 9-15-1952 "Cochise" "Kiped" "Lil Baby Masters" Pilot: Wood

KORWALD Circumstances of Loss: On fighter-bomber escort mission near Yalu River, hit by AAA, successful bailout near Cho-do, became entangled in parachute lines after landing in the water

[336th Lt. Joe A. Logan on 09.15.1952 Status: RCV]

(4th Fighter Interceptor Wing yearbook - 1952)




Col. Walker Mahurin FU-747 (s/n 51-2747)

"Honest John" / "Stud"

336th FIS

(The 4th Fighter Wing in the Korean War - Larry Davis)

FU-747 (s/n 51-2747)

(The 4th Fighter Wing in the Korean War - Larry Davis)

Bud Mahurin was shot down in FU-789 (see FU-789 on this page).

(F-86 Sabres of the 4th Fighter Interceptor Wing - Thomspon)

FU-747 (s/n 51-2747)





Maj. Felix Asla FU-767 (s/n 51-2767)

"The Chopper"

336th FIS; writeoff on 8-1-1952 "Chopper" Pilot: Asla

KORWALD Circumstances of Loss: 2 F-86s attacked by 2 MiGs over Sakchu, aircraft in a spin, wing came off at 0927L

[336th Maj. Felix Asla, Jr. on 08.01.1952 Status: MIA]

FU-767 (s/n 51-2767) Maj. Felix Asla "The Chopper"

(The 4th Fighter Wing in the Korean War - Larry Davis)

FU-767 (s/n 51-2767) Maj. Felix Asla "The Chopper"

(The 4th Fighter Wing in the Korean War - Larry Davis)

FU-767 (s/n 51-2767) Maj. Felix Asla "The Chopper"

Maj. Felix Asla, Jr.

(The 4th Fighter Wing in the Korean War - Larry Davis)

F-86 Sabre - History of the Sabre and the FJ Fury (by Robert F. Dorr)




Col. Walker M. Mahurin FU-789 (s/n 51-2789)
336th FIS

KORWALD Circumstances of Loss: Downed by enemy ground fire while on a mission against the Kunu-ri and Sinanju areas

[336th Col. Walker M. Mahurin on 05.13.1952 Status: RMC]



FU-791 (s/n 51-2791)

"Old Buddy"

336th FIS; "Old Buddy" "My Hutch" "Stella"

North American F-86 SabreJet DAY FIGHTERS (WARBIRD TECH SERIES, Volume 3)

FU-791 (s/n 51-2791)

(F-86 Sabre in Action, Aircraft No. 33 - squadron/signal publications)




Capt. Chuck Owens FU-800 (s/n 51-2800)

"Liza Gal" / "El Diablo" / "Baby Doll"

336th FIS; write off 2-13-52 "Lixa Gal" "El Diablo"

Circumstances of Loss: Code: N Operational on a combat mission, not enemy action. Cause: Unknown

[336th on 02.13.1952] (Mig Alley - Sabres vs. MiGs Over Korea - Thompson and McLaren)

(The 4th Fighter Wing in the Korean War - Larry Davis)

FU-800 12800 (s/n 51-2800)

FU-800 (s/n 51-2800) "Liza Gal El Diablo" (Major Chuck Owens) - Facebook post by Mark Jones.

F-86 Sabre - Hostory of the Sabre and FJ Fury (by Robert F. Dorr)

FU-800 (s/n 51-2800) "Liza Gal El Diablo" (Major Chuck Owens)

The profile photo was taken when Owens was still a captain and the aircraft had not had the 336th squadron badge fully painted.

The 4thFW tail band was narrower than normal on "El Diablo".

FU-800 (s/n 51-2800) "Liza Gal El Diablo" (Major Chuck Owens)

(4th Fighter Interceptor Wing yearbook - 1952)

(4th Fighter Interceptor Wing yearbook - 1952)



Col. Royal 'King' Baker FU-822 (s/n 51-2822)

"Angel Face & the Babes"



(The 4th Fighter Wing in the Korean War - Larry Davis)

(The 4th Fighter Wing in the Korean War - Larry Davis)

FU-822 (s/n 51-2822) "Angel Face & the Babes" (Col. Royal "King" Baker)




Maj. Robinson Risner FU-824 (s/n 51-2824)

"Little Mike"

336th FIS

(The 4th Fighter Wing in the Korean War - Larry Davis)

Famed 336th ace Robbie Risner's F-86 FU-824

(The 4th Fighter Wing in the Korean War - Larry Davis)




1/Lt. John G. Ellis, Jr. FU-828 (s/n 51-2828)
4th FIG; writeoff on 7-20-1952 Pilot: Ellis

KORWALD Circumstances of Loss: Failed to return from combat mission, 34 F-86s vs. 8 MiGs, last contact at 1706L

[336th 1/Lt. John G. Ellis, Jr. on 07.20.1952 Status: RMC]




1/Lt. Joseph E. McElvain FU-829 (s/n 51-2829)
336th FIS; writeoff on 11-7-1952 "Dark Horse" Pilot: McElvin

KORWALD Circumstances of Loss: VFR clearance, crashed into mountain 10 mi E of Seoul in bad weather

[336th 1/Lt. Joseph E. McElvain on 11.06.1952 Status: RCV]

(4th Fighter Interceptor Wing yearbook - 1952)




FU-831 (s/n 51-2831)


F-86 Sabre (by Aircraft Films - DVD 2004)




Joe Romack FU-834 (s/n 51-2834)

"Patricia II"

336th FIS

Joe Romack of 336th FIS took over FU-834 from Capt Clifford D Jolley of the 335th FIS, at which point it was renamed Patricia II, but retaining the 'jolly roger' flag.

Source: Duncan Curtis




Lt. Edward G. Izbicky FU-839 (s/n 52-2839)
F-86E-6 (Canadair)
336th FIS

FU-839 (s/n 52-2839)

(jetpilotoverseas.wordpress.com) link

Downed by MiG in 1953

(KORWALD - Korean War Air Loss Database)




2/Lt. James E. Swenson FU-859 (52-2859)
F-86E-6 (Canadair)
336th FIS; writeoff on 11-7-1952 Pilot: Swanson

KORWALD Circumstances of Loss: VFR clearance, crashed into mountain 10 mi E of Seoul in bad weather

[336th 2/Lt. James E. Swenson on 11.06.1952 Status: RCV]




Lt. Col. Louis A. Green FU-863 (s/n 52-2863)
F-86E-6 (Canadair)
336th FIS

FU-863 (s/n 52-2863) Lt. Col. Louis A. Green

FU-863 (s/n 52-2863) Lt. Col. Louis A. Green / Tail of FU-877 "Shirley Chris / Able Mable"




Lt. Hubert Davis
336th FIS

"This is my father, 1LT Hubert Davis. He was assigned as assistant maintenance officer for 336 squadron at K-14 Kimpo S Korea in 1952. Later in his tour the Wing maintenance officer rotated home, and LT Davis was assigned maintenance officer over the entire 4th Fighter Interceptor Wing, as a 23 year old 1LT. They were equipped with the 6/3 “hardwing”, without the leading edge slats.
He was assigned project officer for “Gunval”. Two specially made F-86s were sent over with 4 specially trained pilots to evaluate the replacement of the six .50 caliber machine guns with four 20MM cannons. They were very effective, against MiG pilots that had learned the reach of the .50s, but got fatally within range of the 20MMs. The tremendous amount of gun gas generated by the cannons was sometimes ingested in the engine intake, sometimes causing a flameout. A muzzle deflector was developed that helped, and the lessons learned were incorporated on later aircraft."

- Hubert P Davis Jr., F-86 Sabres of the Korean War (facebook)



FU-876 (s/n 52-2876)
F-86E-6 (Canadair)
336th FIS

FU-876 22876 S/N 52-2876

North American F-86A-L Sabre In USAF & Foreign Service (AIRCAM AVIATION SERIES, No 17)




"Itchy Finger" Lt. John S. Brandt
336th FIS

"Itchy Finger" Lt. John S. Brandt




"Pride of the AF"
336th FIS

Mig Alley - Sabres vs. MiGs Over Korea - Thompson and McLaren





Mig Alley - Sabres vs. MiGs Over Korea - Thompson and McLaren

Mig Alley - Sabres vs. MiGs Over Korea - Thompson and McLaren







Additional Yearbook Photos 1952

(4th Fighter Interceptor Wing yearbook - 1952)

(4th Fighter Interceptor Wing yearbook - 1952)

(4th Fighter Interceptor Wing yearbook - 1952)

(4th Fighter Interceptor Wing yearbook - 1952)

(4th Fighter Interceptor Wing yearbook - 1952)

(4th Fighter Interceptor Wing yearbook - 1952)

(4th Fighter Interceptor Wing yearbook - 1952)

(4th Fighter Interceptor Wing yearbook - 1952)

(4th Fighter Interceptor Wing yearbook - 1952)

(4th Fighter Interceptor Wing yearbook - 1952)



336th Fabulous Rocketeers - Confirmed MiG Kills 1952




January 30, 1952

Capt. Freeland K. Mathews

1.0 Credit MiG-15

February 21, 1952
Capt. Brooks J. Liles
1.0 Credit MiG-15

March 10, 1952

March 11, 1952

March 11, 1952

March 12, 1952

March 12, 1952

March 12, 1952

March 16, 1952

March 20, 1952

March 20, 1952

March 24, 1952

March 25, 1952

Capt. Ralph E. Banks

Capt. Brooks J. Liles

1st Lt. Kenneth H. Rapp

Maj. Felix Asla

Capt. Ralph E. Banks

1st Lt. Charles B. Christison

Lt. Col. J. S. Payne (USMC)

Maj. Felix Asla

1st Lt. Charles G. Carl

Capt. Freeland K. Mathews

Capt. Brooks J. Liles

2.0 Credit MiG-15

1.0 Credit MiG-15

1.0 Credit MiG-15

1.0 Credit MiG-15

1.0 Credit MiG-15

1.0 Credit MiG-15

1.0 Credit MiG-15

1.0 Credit MiG-15

1.0 Credit MiG-15

1.0 Credit MiG-15

1.0 Credit MiG-15


April 3, 1952

April 21, 1952

April 30, 1952

1st Lt. Charles G. Carl

Capt. Brooks J. Liles

Capt. Charles D. Owens

1.0 Credit MiG-15

1.0 Credit MiG-15

1.0 Credit MiG-15


May 13, 1952

May 13, 1952

Capt. Robert W. McKittrick

1st. Lt. Herschel D. Spitzer

1.0 Credit MiG-15

1.0 Credit MiG-15


June 6, 1952

June 20, 1952

June 20, 1952

June 21, 1952

June 21, 1952

Maj. Felix Asla

Col. Royal N. Baker

1st Lt. George J. Wood

1st Lt. William D. Angle

1st Lt. Donald A. Mclean

1.0 Credit MiG-15

1.0 Credit La-9

1.0 Credit La-9

0.5 Credit MiG-15

0.5 Credit MiG-15


July 4, 1952

July 4, 1952

Col. Royal N. Baker

1st Lt. Gerald E. LyVere

1.0 Credit MiG-15

1.0 Credit MiG-15


August 1, 1952

August 5, 1952

August 7, 1952

Capt. Daniel J. Dennehy

Capt. Robinson Riser

Capt. Charles D. Owens

1.0 Credit MiG-15

1.0 Credit MiG-15

1.0 Credit MiG-15


September 5, 1952

September 15, 1952

September 21, 1952

September 21, 1952

September 21, 1952

Capt. Robinson Riser

Capt. Robinson Riser

1st Lt. Joseph E. Fields

Capt. Richard B. Moyle

Capt. Robinson Riser

1.0 Credit MiG-15

1.0 Credit MiG-15

1.0 Credit MiG-15

1.0 Credit MiG-15

2.0 Credit MiG-15


October 4, 1952

October 22, 1952

October 23, 1952

October 25, 1952

October 25, 1952

October 25, 1952

Lt. Col. Ralph E. Keyes

Capt. Robinson Riser

Capt. Houston N. Tuel

Col. Royal N. Baker

1st Lt. Joesph E. Fields

Sqn. Ldr. Graham Hulse (RAF)

1.0 Credit MiG-15

1.0 Credit MiG-15

1.0 Credit MiG-15

1.0 Credit MiG-15

0.5 Credit MiG-15

0.5 Credit MiG-15


November 1, 1952

November 17, 1952

November 22, 1952

Capt. Robert A. Windoffer

Maj. William L. Cosby

Maj. Louis A. Green

1.0 Credit MiG-15

1.0 Credit MiG-15

1.0 Credit MiG-15


December 4, 1952

December 7, 1952

December 7, 1952

December 9, 1952

Capt. Robinson Riser

Maj. Louis A. Green

Capt. Houston N. Tuel

Flt. Lt. Graham Hulse (RAF)

1.0 Credit MiG-15

1.0 Credit MiG-15

1.0 Credit MiG-15

1.0 Credit MiG-15

(Mig Alley - Sabres vs. MiGs Over Korea - Thompson and McLaren)


Highlights of the Korean War (Jan 1952 - Dec 1952)


Jan. 1: As almost half a million CCF and North Korean troops launched a new ground offensive, 5th Air Force embarked on a campaign of air raids on enemy troop columns.

Jan. 2: For the first time, a C-47 dropped flares to illuminate B-26 and F-82 night attacks on enemy forces. The flares also deterred enemy night attacks on US troops. Fifth Air Force withdrew forward-based F-86s assigned to the 4th FIW from enemy-threatened Kimpo airfield near Seoul to the wing's home station at Johnson AB, Japan.

Jan. 3: As massive numbers of Chinese troops crossed the frozen Han River east and west of Seoul, Eighth Army began evacuating the South Korean capital. The South Korean government began moving to Pusan. In one of the largest Bomber Command air raids, more than 60 B-29s dropped 650 tons of incendiary bombs on Pyongyang. UN forces burned nearly 500,000 gallons of fuel and 23,000 gallons of napalm at Kimpo in preparation for abandoning the base to the advancing enemy. FEAF flew 958 combat sorties, a one-day record.

Jan. 4: For the third time in six months, Seoul changed hands as CCF troops moved in. The last USAF aircraft left Kimpo airfield.

Jan. 5: Fifty-nine B-29s dropped 672 tons of incendiary bombs on Pyongyang. The 18th FBG staged its final missions from Suwon. US ground troops burned the buildings at Suwon's airfield before withdrawing.

Jan. 6: Combat Cargo Command concluded a multiday airlift of supplies to the US 2nd Infantry Division, which was fighting to prevent a break in the UN defensive line across South Korea. C-47s from 21st TCS landed 115 tons of cargo at Wonju, in central Korea, and C-119s of the 314th TCG dropped 460 tons of supplies to the division.

Jan. 8: When blizzards forced USN Task Force 77 carriers to suspend close air support missions for X Corps, 5th Air Force took up the slack. Superfortresses cratered Kimpo airfield to prevent its use by enemy aircraft. US forces in central Korea withdrew to new positions three miles south of Wonju.

Jan. 10: Continued severe winter weather forced 5th Air Force to cancel close air support missions, and FEAF flew the lowest daily total of sorties since July 1950. Brig. Gen. James E. Briggs, replaced O'Donnell as commander of Bomber Command. From now on, Strategic Air Command changed commanders of Bomber Command every four months to provide wartime experience to as many officers as possible.

Jan. 11: With improved weather, 5th Air Force and Bomber Command resumed close air support missions for X Corps in north central South Korea.

Jan. 12: After Wonju fell to Communist forces, 98th BG sent 10 B-29s to attack the occupied city. For the first time, B-29s dropped 500-pound general purpose bombs fused to burst in the air and shower enemy troops with thousands of steel fragments. The innovation slowed the enemy advance. To improve bombing precision, FEAF installed shoran (a short-range navigation system) on a B-26 for the first time.

Jan. 13: FEAF flew the first effective tarzon mission against an enemy-held bridge at Kanggye, dropping a 6-ton radio-guided bomb on the center span, destroying 58 feet of the structure.

Jan. 14: Chinese Communist Forces reached their furthest extent of advance into South Korea with the capture of Wonju.

Jan. 15: The enemy began a limited withdrawal in some areas of South Korea.

Jan. 17: A 4th FIG detachment began operating from Taegu, restoring F-86 operations in Korea. For the first time, the Sabres flew in the air-to-ground role as fighter-bombers, conducting armed reconnaissance and close air support missions. FEAF temporarily suspended tarzon bombing missions because of a shortage of the radio-guided bombs. Only three, earmarked for emergencies, remained in the theater.

Jan. 17-18: Combat Cargo Command flew an extraordinary 109 C-119 sorties to drop more than 550 tons of supplies to front-line troops in Korea.

Jan. 19: FEAF launched a 13-day intensive air campaign, by fighters, light bombers, and medium bombers, to restrict to a trickle the supplies and reinforcements reaching enemy forces in the field.

Jan. 20: After weeks of almost unbroken absence, MiGs appeared again over Korea, resulting on this date in the first encounter between USAF F-84s and CCF MiG-15s.

Jan. 21: Large numbers of MiG-15s attacked USAF jets, shooting down one F-80 and one F-84. Lt. Col. William E. Bertram of the 27th FEW shot down a MiG-15 to score the first USAF aerial victory by an F-84 Thunderjet.

Jan. 23: No other day in January saw as much air action. Thirty-three F-84s staging from Taegu attacked Sinuiju, provoking a furious half-hour air battle with MiG-15s from across the Yalu. The Thunderjets shot down three MiGs, the highest daily USAF aerial victory credit total for the month. While 46 F-80s suppressed Pyongyang's anti-aircraft artillery, 21 B-29s cratered the enemy capital's airfields.

Jan. 25: FEAF replaced its Combat Cargo Command (Provisional) with the 315th Air Division (Combat Cargo), which reported directly to FEAF and did not depend on 5th Air Force for administrative and logistical support.

Jan. 25-Feb. 9: Eighth Army executed Operation Thunderbolt, the first UN offensive of the year. The objectives were to clear the area south of the Han River and recapture the port of Inchon and the airfield at Suwon. To sustain this offensive, 68 C-119s in five days dropped at Chunju 1,162 tons of supplies, including fuel, oil, sleeping bags, C rations, and signal wire.

Jan. 26: FEAF flew its first C-47 "control aircraft," loaded with enough communications equipment to connect by radio all T-6 Mosquitoes, TACP, and the Tactical Air Control Center. This was the harbinger of today's warning and control aircraft.

Jan. 30: The first USAF aircraft to land at the recaptured Suwon airfield were C-54s of the 61st TCG, delivering 270 tons of supplies for the advancing UN forces.

Jan. 31: In the first such mission recorded during the Korean War, a special operations unit of the 21st TCS dropped a UN agent behind enemy lines near Yonan, on the west coast just south of the 38th parallel.

Feb. 4: Fifth Air Force modified some B-26s to drop flares because the flare-dropping C-47s that had accompanied B-26 night raiders had trouble keeping up with the fast bombers.

Feb. 5: As part of Operation Roundup, designed to disrupt enemy preparations for a new offensive, X Corps advanced with strong air support near Hoengsong, northeast of Wonju. Maj. Arnold Mullins, 67th FBS, in an F-51 Mustang, shot down a Yak-9 seven miles north of Pyongyang to score the only USAF aerial victory of the month. Capt. Donald Nichols was transferred from Office of Special Investigations to the intelligence section of 5th Air Force to work directly on special and clandestine operations.

Feb. 6: B-26 crews proved that the new MPQ-2 radar equipment, which provided the aircrew better definition of targets, increased the accuracy of night bombing raids. To clear up a backlog of medical patients at Chungju, 315th Air Division C-47s airlifted 343 patients to Pusan. Eight C-54s airlifted a 40-ton, 310-foot treadway bridge, in 279 pieces, from Tachikawa AB, Japan, to Taegu. In a onetime effort to demoralize CCF troops, six C-119s dropped 32 booby-trapped boxes, designed to blow up when opened, on an enemy troop concentration at Kwangdong-ni. The 91st SRS performed its first night photographic mission.

Feb. 8: FEAF, using B-29s, B-26s, and fighters, launched an all-out attack on rail lines in northeastern Korea between Hoeryong and Wonsan. Brig. Gen. John P. Henebry replaced Tunner as commander of the 315th Air Division and airlift operations in the Korean War.

Feb. 9: US troops reached the Han River seven miles east-southeast of Seoul.

Feb. 10: UN forces captured the port of Inchon and the important nearby airfield at Kimpo. Air raids had cratered the field so badly that it required extensive renovation before USAF aircraft could use it. On the east coast, South Korean troops crossed the 38th parallel and entered Yangyang.

Feb. 11/12: In central Korea some 50 miles east of Seoul, Chinese and North Korean forces attacked the South Korean 3rd and 8th Divisions north and northwest of Hoengsong and in two days captured the town, forcing the UN forces toward Wonju, a few miles to the south.

Feb. 12: FEAF cargo aircraft air-dropped supplies to the X Corps command post airstrip at Wonju. A leaflet-dropping C-47 aircraft, hit by enemy anti-aircraft fire, crash-landed at Suwon. FEAF decided to launch subsequent C-47 leaflet drops at night. While B-26s attacked enemy positions at night behind the battle line by the light of air-dropped flares, two enemy aircraft used the same flare light to attack UN positions.

Feb. 13: The 315th Air Division airlifted more than 800 sick and wounded US troops from forward airstrips, such as that at Wonju, to Taegu and Pusan. This airlift used so many C-47s that they were not available for other airlift demands.

Feb. 13-16: Three CCF divisions surrounded UN troops, including members of the US 23rd Infantry Regiment and a French battalion, at a crucial road junction at Chipyong-ni in central Korea. Despite heavy enemy ground fire, 93 transports dropped some 420 tons of food and ammunition to the encircled troops. Twenty C-119s dropped supplies at night over a zone marked by burning gasoline-soaked rags. Also, H-5 helicopters delivered medical supplies to the troops and evacuated more than 40 wounded. The 5th Air Force flew close air support missions for the surrounded troops, who held out until relieved by a friendly armored column.

Feb. 16: For the first time, the US Army began using its own aircraft, the L-19 Bird Dog, for forward air control, artillery spotting, and other front-line duties, relieving 5th Air Force of demands for these types of missions.

Feb. 17/18: B-26s flew the first night bombing mission using shoran, a short-range navigation system employing an airborne radar device and two ground beacon stations for precision bombing.

Feb. 20: FEAF activated a "Special Air Mission" detachment under 315th Air Division to provide air transportation for important officials and for psychological warfare missions, for example, aerial broadcasting and leaflet drops.

Feb. 21: Eighth Army launched Operation Killer to destroy large numbers of enemy troops while moving the UN line northward to the Han River.

Feb. 23: Bomber Command flew the first B-29 mission with the more accurate MPQ-2 radar, bombing a highway bridge seven miles northeast of Seoul.

Feb. 24: The 315th Air Division dropped a record 333 tons of cargo to front-line troops, using 67 C-119s and two C-46s.

Feb. 28: UN ground forces eliminated the last Communist presence south of the Han River.

March 1: Bomber Command B-29s launched the first mission of a new interdiction campaign. Twenty-two F-80s sent to escort 18 B-29s over Kogunyong, North Korea, arrived ahead of the Superfortresses and returned to base because they were running low on fuel. MiGs attacked the unescorted B-29s, damaging 10, three of which had to land in South Korea. One B-29 gunner brought down a MiG.

March 3: A new shipment of tarzon bombs arrived in the Far East, allowing FEAF to resume raids, suspended since Jan. 17, with the large guided weapons.

March 4: Fifty-one C-119s dropped 260 tons of supplies to the 1st Marine Division in the largest airdrop of the month.

March 6: The 334th FIS used Suwon as a staging base from which F-86 Sabres began raiding the Yalu River area after being absent for months.

March 7: UN forces launched a new offensive called Operation Ripper to cross the Han River in central Korea east of Seoul, destroy large numbers of enemy troops, and break up preparations for an enemy offensive. Fifth Air Force flew more close air support missions to support the operation.

March 14: Communist forces abandoned Seoul without a fight after Ridgway's troops seized high ground on either side of the city north of the Han River. At night B-26s began dropping specially designed tetrahedral tacks on highways to puncture the tires of enemy vehicles. They were more effective than the roofing nails dropped earlier.

March 15: UN forces entered Seoul, the fourth time the city had changed hands since the war began.

March 16: FEAF flew 1,123 effective sorties, a new daily record.

March 17: An F-80, flown by Lt. Howard J. Landry of the 36th FBS, collided with a MiG-15. Both went down with their pilots. Fifth Air Force lost no other aircraft in aerial encounters during the month.

March 20: Fifteen F-94B all-weather jet fighters arrived in the Far East for eventual service as night escorts for B-29s.

March 23: Operation Tomahawk, the second airborne operation of the war and the largest in one day, involved 120 C-119s and C-46s, escorted by 16 F-51s. The 314th TCG and the 437th TCW air transports flew from Taegu to Munsan-ni, an area behind enemy lines some 20 miles northwest of Seoul, and dropped the 187th Airborne Regimental Combat Team and two Ranger companies-more than 3,400 men and 220 tons of equipment and supplies. Fifth Air Force fighters and light bombers had largely eliminated enemy opposition. UN forces advanced quickly to the Imjin River, capturing 127 Communist prisoners. Some of the prisoners waved safe-conduct leaflets that FEAF aircraft had dropped during the airborne operation. Helicopters evacuated only 68 injured personnel from the drop zone. One C-119, possibly hit by enemy bullets, caught fire and crashed on the way back. On the same day, 22 B-29s of the 19th and 307th BGs, protected from MiGs by 45 F-86s, destroyed two bridges in northwestern Korea.

March 24: For the first time, FEAF used an H-19, a service test helicopter, in Korea for the air evacuation of wounded troops. The H-19 was considerably larger and more powerful, with greater range, than the H-5s.

March 24, 26-27: Fifty-two C-119s and C-46s dropped an additional 264 tons of supplies to troops at Munsan-ni, because they could not depend on surface lines of communication for supplies.

March 29: With fighter escorts, B-29s returned to the Yalu River to bomb bridges, which had become important targets again as the river ice thawed. Fifth Air Force light bombers and fighters, which had handled interdiction in the area during the winter, could not destroy the larger Yalu River bridges.

March 31: Flight Lt. J.A.O. Levesque, Royal Canadian Air Force, flying with the 334th FIS, scored the first aerial victory since 1950 of an F-86 over a MiG-15. Elements of Eighth Army moved northward across the 38th parallel. The 3rd ARS used the H-19 to retrieve some 18 UN personnel from behind enemy lines, the first use of this type helicopter in a special operations mission. The 315th Air Division grounded its C-119s for modification and reconditioning.

April 3: The service-test YH-19 helicopter with the 3rd ARS picked up a downed F-51 pilot southeast of Pyongyang, receiving small-arms fire during the sortie.

April 12: As of this date in the war, the heaviest concentration of B-29s against a single bridge encountered the largest and most determined enemy counterair effort, resulting in the largest jet air battle so far in the war. Forty-six B-29s attacking the Yalu River bridge at Sinuiju and 100 escorting fighters encountered between 100 and 125 MiGs, which shot down three bombers and damaged seven others. However, B-29 gunners destroyed seven MiGs, and F-86 pilots downed four more, the highest daily MiG tally thus far. The bridge, despite numerous direct hits, remained standing. At President Truman's direction, Eighth Army commander Ridgway replaced MacArthur, who had several times publicly criticized the Administration's Korean War and foreign policies.

April 14: Lt. Gen. James A. Van Fleet assumed command of Eighth Army.

April 16-20: Bomber Command flew a daily average of 10 B-29 sorties against Pyongyang, Kangdong, Yonpo, and other North Korean airfields.

April 17: President Truman signed an executive order extending US military enlistments involuntarily by nine months, an indication of the manpower shortage facing the military services during the war. An intelligence operation behind enemy lines resulted in the recovery of vital components of a crashed MiG-15. In Operation MiG, a YH-19 helicopter transported a US and South Korean team to the crash area south of Sinanju. Under friendly fighter cover, the party extracted MiG components and samples and obtained photographs. On the return flight southward the helicopter came under enemy ground fire and received one hit. The successful mission led to greater technical knowledge of the MiG.

April 18: H-5 helicopters from the 3rd ARS evacuated 20 critically wounded US soldiers from front-line aid stations to the nearest field hospital. Five of the 10 sorties encountered enemy fire.

April 19: The first modified and reconditioned C-119 returned to service.

April 21: An SA-16, 3rd ARS, attempted to pick up a downed enemy Yak pilot near Chinnampo for intelligence purposes. The aircrew landed and put out a raft but had to take off because of intense enemy fire, leaving the Yak pilot behind.

April 22/23: Enemy ground forces launched a massive spring offensive.

April 23: FEAF flew some 340 close air support sorties, one of the highest daily totals prior to 1953. The 336th FIS began operating from Suwon, so that its F-86 aircraft could operate for longer periods in MiG Alley near the Yalu River.

April 23-26: FEAF daily flew over 1,000 combat sorties, inflicting enemy casualties and destroying supplies needed to sustain the offensive.

April 24: On separate pickups, an H-5 helicopter from the 3rd ARS rescued first the pilot then the navigator of a downed B-26 near Chorwon, about 15 miles north of the 38th parallel, in the central sector. The navigator, suffering a broken leg, had been captured by two enemy soldiers. But he managed to seize a gun belonging to one of the enemy, causing them to run for cover. Friendly fighters kept them pinned down, while the helicopter made the pickup.

April 26/27: At night, over the western sector, a B-29 close air support strike against enemy troops forming for an attack on the US Army IX Corps broke up the assault.

April 30: Fifth Air Force set a new record of 960 effective sorties. On separate sorties, two H-5 helicopters each picked up a downed UN pilot behind enemy lines. Small-arms fire damaged one helicopter. The first indication of enemy radar-controlled anti-aircraft guns came with the loss of three out of four F-51s making an air-to-ground attack against a target at Sinmak.

May 5: An H-5 helicopter from the 3rd ARS rescued a downed F-51 pilot north of Seoul, encountering small-arms fire in the area.

May 8: Another H-5 helicopter picked up two US soldiers north of Seoul, encountering small-arms fire in the area.

May 9: In one of the largest counterair efforts so far, 5th Air Force and 1st Marine Air Wing fighter-bombers flew more than 300 sorties against Sinuiju airfield in extreme northwestern Korea.

May 15/16: As anticipated, the Communists launched the second phase of their spring offensive against the South Korean corps in the east, a last vain attempt to drive UN forces from the Korean peninsula. The enemy limited its tactical assaults to night because of FEAF daytime aerial attacks.

May 16-26: In a maximum effort, 315th cargo aircraft flew an average of more than 1,000 tons of supplies daily from Japan to Korea to support UN ground forces seeking to halt the Communist offensive.

May 17-22: Bomber Command B-29s flew 94 (mostly nighttime) sorties against enemy ground forces, far more close air support missions in a similar period than previously in the war. The B-29s flew few other type missions during this time.

May 19: An H-5 helicopter rescued a downed F-51 pilot southwest of Chorwon in the central sector, sustaining damage from small-arms fire during the pickup.

May 20: Capt. James Jabara, 334th FIS, destroyed his fifth and sixth MiGs in aerial combat, thereby becoming the world's first jet-to-jet ace. Eighth Army successfully blunted the Communist offensive, leaving the enemy overextended and under constant aerial attack. Stratemeyer, FEAF commander, suffered a severe heart attack.

May 21: Partridge assumed command of FEAF. Maj. Gen. Edward J. Timberlake took his place as 5th Air Force commander.

May 22: In close air support sorties, 5th Air Force fighter-bombers inflicted some 1,700 casualties on enemy forces, one of the highest daily totals thus far.

May 23: Brig. Gen. Robert H. Terrill assumed command of Bomber Command, replacing Briggs.

May 24: The 136th FBW, one of two Air National Guard organizations sent to Korea, flew its first combat sorties of the war.

May 27-28: Unit 4/Special Air Mission C-47s flew leaflet-drop/voice-broadcast sorties encouraging the enemy to surrender to elements of the US Army's IX Corps. Some 4,000 enemy soldiers surrendered, many carrying leaflets. The captives reported morale problems among the enemy because of UN aerial attacks.

May 31: Fifth Air Force began Operation Strangle, an interdiction campaign against enemy supply lines in North Korea.

June 1: One flight of F-86s from the 336th FIS, escorting B-29s, engaged 18 MiG-15s, destroying two. A flight of 343rd BS B-29s defended itself against 22 MiG-15s in the vicinity of Sonchon. The MiGs destroyed one B-29 and damaged another, while the defenders destroyed two enemy jets. Special Air Mission C-47s dropped 15 Koreans into enemy-held territory to retrieve parts from a crashed MiG-15. Unfortunately, Communist forces captured all 15. Maj. Gen. Frank F. Everest, assumed command of 5th Air Force, replacing Timberlake.

June 3: UN anti-aircraft artillery destroyed two 315th C-119s while the aircraft were attempting a resupply airdrop. This fratricide incident led to the adoption of new procedures for Identification, Friend or Foe during air-drop operations.

June 7-10: B-26 and B-29 aircraft undertook radar-directed area attacks against the Iron Triangle-the vital Chorwon-Kumhwa-Pyongyang communications and supply area-at night, raining 500-pound bombs set to explode over the heads of the enemy troops. These operations were in preparation for UN ground forces' assaults.

June 10: The airfield at Chunchon, some 50 miles northeast of Seoul and 10 miles south of the 38th parallel, opened to cargo traffic, adding to 315th Air Division's ability to meet the growing demand for air-drop capability. In Tokyo, Lt. Gen. Otto P. Weyland assumed command of FEAF, replacing Partridge.

June 11: An SA-16 of the 3rd ARS made a pickup at dusk of a downed F-51 pilot from the Taedong River near Kyomipo, North Korea. The SA-16, although receiving fire from both sides of the river, made a landing approach without lights, avoiding low electrical transmission lines and rocks and debris on the river's surface. The pilot earned the Distinguished Service Cross for the rescue.

June 15: Fifth Air Force moved its headquarters from Taegu back to Seoul.

June 23: Jacob Malik, Soviet ambassador to the United Nations, called for negotiations between representatives of UN forces and Communist forces for an armistice in Korea based upon the separation of the armies along the 38th parallel.

June 25: The 8th FBG moved to Kimpo after completion of repairs to Kimpo's short runway. This marked the resumption of combat operations at Kimpo, although aviation engineers continued their work to restore the main runway.

July 1: Kim Il Sung, North Korean premier, and Paeng Te-huai, CCF commander, responded to UN overtures and agreed to participate in truce negotiations. Pioneer in aerial reconnaissance, Col. Karl L. Polifka, commander, 67th Tactical Reconnaissance Wing (TRW), was shot down and killed, while flying an RF-51 near the front lines.

July 6: An Air Materiel Command KB-29M tanker, operated by a Strategic Air Command crew assigned to the 43rd ARS, conducted the first in-flight refueling over enemy territory under combat conditions. The tanker refueled four RF-80 Shooting Stars flying reconnaissance missions over North Korea.

July 10: Naval Forces, Far East, commander Joy led the UN delegation that met the Communists at Kaesong, some 30 miles northwest of Seoul and just south of the 38th parallel, in the first conference of the armistice negotiations. A flight of F-80s reported a long convoy of NKA trucks and tanks halted by a demolished bridge. Fifth Air Force diverted every available aircraft to attack with bombs, rockets, and gunfire, resulting in the destruction of over 150 vehicles, a third of them tanks.

July 14: In one of the more spectacular night strikes of the war, a single B-26 of the 452nd BG attacked two enemy convoys north of Sinanju in the early morning hours, claiming 68 destroyed or damaged vehicles.

July 21: A detachment of the 6004th Air Intelligence Service Squadron completed a week-long effort near Cho-do Island to recover the most components ever salvaged from a MiG-15 aircraft. This combined operation involved 5th Air Force aircraft providing high cover, British carrier aircraft flying low cover, and the US Army contributing a vessel outfitted with a crane.

July 24: The 116th FBW, the second Air National Guard wing deployed to the Far East, arrived with its F-84 Thunderjets at Misawa and Chitose ABs in Japan.

July 25: Fifth Air Force directed the formal establishment of an air defense system for South Korea, utilizing the resources of the 502nd Tactical Control Group and its subordinate squadrons.

July 29: UN jet fighter-bombers and reconnaissance aircraft operating near Pyongyang encountered MiGs much farther south than usual. Evading the attacking MiGs, the UN aircraft returned safely to base.

July 30: In the largest single mass attack for the month on targets in the Pyongyang area, 91 F-80s suppressed enemy air defenses while 354 USMC and USAF fighter-bombers attacked specified military targets. To avoid adverse world public opinion during ongoing peace negotiations, the Joint Chiefs of Staff withheld information on the strike from the news media.

Aug. 4: Communist ground forces violated the Kaesong neutral zone, resulting in suspension of truce talks.

Aug. 10: Armistice negotiations resume at Kaesong with the North Korean promise to respect the neutral zone.

Aug. 17: A typhoon at Okinawa halted B-29 operations.

Aug. 18: FEAF began Operation Strangle against North Korean railroads.

Aug. 22: The Communist delegation trumped up evidence that a UN aircraft bombed Kaesong, resulting in suspension of the armistice negotiations once again.

Aug. 24/25: B-26s claimed over 800 trucks destroyed in the new campaign of night anti-truck operations.

Aug. 25: In Bomber Command's largest operation of the month, 35 B-29s, escorted by USN fighters, dropped 300 tons of bombs on marshaling yards at Rashin in far northeastern Korea. Previously excluded from target lists because of its proximity of less than 20 miles to the Soviet border, Rashin was a major supply depot.

Sept. 9: Seventy MiGs attacked 28 Sabres between Sinanju and Pyongyang. Despite such odds, F-86 pilots, Capt. Richard S. Becker, 334th FIS, and Capt. Ralph D. Gibson, 335th FIS, each destroyed a MiG, increasing the number of jet aces from one to three.

Sept. 10: South of Pyongyang a 3rd ARS H-5 helicopter, with fighter escort, rescued F-80 pilot Capt. Ward M. Millar, 7th FBS. He had suffered two broken ankles during his ejection from the jet but escaped after two months as a prisoner and then evaded recapture for three weeks. The helicopter also brought out an NKA sergeant who had assisted Millar, delivering both to Seoul.

Sept. 14: Capt. John S. Walmsley Jr., 8th BS, on a night B-26 interdiction sortie, attacked an enemy train, expending his ordnance. He then used a USN searchlight experimentally mounted on his aircraft's wing to illuminate the target for another B-26. Shot down and killed by ground fire, Walmsley earned the Medal of Honor for his valorous act.

Sept. 23: In an excellent example of shoran bombing technique, eight B-29s from the 19th BG knocked out the center span of the Sunchon rail bridge despite nine-tenths cloud cover.

Sept. 24: Attempts to reopen peace talks at Kaesong failed.

Sept. 25: In the largest air battle in recent weeks, an estimated 100 MiG-15s attacked 36 F-86s flying a fighter sweep over the Sinanju area. Sabre pilots destroyed five MiGs in aerial combat, the daily high for the month.

Sept. 27: In Operation Pelican, a service-test C-124A Globemaster flew its first payload from Japan to Korea, delivering 30,000 pounds of aircraft parts to Kimpo airfield.

Sept. 28: On the longest flight to date for a jet aircraft using in-flight refueling, a Yokota-based RF-80 flew for 14 hours and 15 minutes on a Korean combat sortie, refueling multiple times from two KB-29M tankers.

Sept. 30: Replacing Terrill, Brig. Gen. Joe W. Kelly assumed command of Bomber Command.

Oct. 1-3: In Operation Snowball, 315th C-119s experimentally dropped 55-gallon drums filled with napalm behind enemy lines.

Oct. 10: FEAF marked a significant date for the Chinese, the anniversary of the overthrow of the Manchu Dynasty, by dropping special leaflets and making radio broadcasts aimed at Chinese Communist Forces in Korea.

Oct. 16: Fifth Air Force Sabre pilots destroyed nine MiG-15s in aerial combat, a record daily high.

Oct. 16/17: B-29s flew 31 day and night sorties, the high for the month, including attacks against rail bridges, marshaling yards, and the Samchang airfield and leaflet drop and reconnaissance sorties.

Oct. 19: The US Army opened a 1,000-bed hospital at Camp Drew, north of Tachikawa AB, Japan. Henceforth, C-54s flew medical evacuees from Korea to Tachikawa, then C-47s shuttled them to Camp Drew, thereby reducing transit time.

Oct. 21-30: The enemy flew sorties over North Korea daily for the first time in the war. MiGs appeared in numbers over 100, consistently outnumbering their F-86 counterparts and downing three F-86s at a cost of five MiGs lost to Sabres.

Oct. 22: Two 3rd ARS SA-16s rescued the 12-man crew of a downed B-29, the highest number rescued by SA-16s on any day in the war.

Oct. 23: In one of the bloodiest air battles of the war, during a 307th BW raid on Namsi airfield, MiG-15s destroyed three B-29s and one F-84 and damaged five other bombers. Fighter pilots and B-29 gunners shot down five MiGs.

Oct. 25: In an unusually effective close air support strike, F-51 Mustangs inflicted approximately 200 casualties on enemy troops in the I Corps sector. Enemy small-arms fire hit a rescue helicopter picking up a downed UN pilot. The H-5 made a forced landing in enemy territory. The next day, two other H-5s hoisted all four men to safety from the mountainside where they had hidden from Communist troops during the night. At the request of the Communists, peace negotiations resumed.

Oct. 27: MiGs flew approximately 200 sorties, the high for the month. On a last medium bomber daylight raid, B-29 gunners shot down six MiG-15s, their highest number of enemy aircraft downed on any day of the war. A 3rd ARS H-5, with fighter escort, rescued a downed UN fighter pilot despite intense fire from enemy ground troops.

Oct. 31: The service-test C-124A departed for the United States, having successfully completed its test in the Far East and convinced the 315th Air Division of the need for a Globemaster squadron.

Nov. 3: Enemy ground fire damaged a 3rd ARS SA-16 engaged in a failed rescue attempt; however, the aircrew, in spite of six- to eight-foot seas, successfully landed in Korea Bay, off the west coast of North Korea, and rescued another downed pilot.

Nov. 4: Thirty-four F-86s encountered an estimated 60 MiG-15s in the Sinamju area. The F-86 pilots destroyed two and damaged three others.

Nov. 6: Eleven enemy piston-type, twin-engine light bombers, probably TU-2s, bombed Taehwa-do, a UN-controlled island. This raid was the first confirmed report of air-to-ground action by an enemy light bomber formation since the Korean War started.

Nov. 8: F-86s and F-80s encountered more than 100 MiG-15s, but only a small number chose to fight. USAF pilots destroyed one MiG and damaged another, while losing one F-86.

Nov. 9: A C-47 landed on the beach of Paengnyong-do Island, off the southwest coast of North Korea, and rescued 11 crewmen of a downed B-29. The 19th BG attacked marshaling yards at Hwang-ju, Kowon, and Yangdok; the Saamcham airfield; and a barracks area. In other night attacks, 98th BW B-29s bombed Taechon airfield, flew five close support sorties and a leaflet sortie, and struck Hungnam.

Nov. 12: Peace negotiations moved to Panmunjom, a village less than five miles east of Kaesong, in a newly established demilitarized zone on the 38th parallel. UN Command ceased offensive ground operations.

Nov. 16: Fifth Air Force fighter-bombers made more than 100 rail cuts between Sinanju and Sukchon and between Kunu-ri and Sunchon. They also damaged bridges, knocked out gun positions, destroyed supply buildings, fired fuel dumps, and took a toll of enemy railcars.

Nov. 18: F-86 aircraft strafed eight MiG fighters on the ground at Uiju, destroyed four, and damaged the rest. MiG-15s forced three flights of F-84 fighter-bombers to jettison their bombs and abort prebriefed rail-cutting missions near Sinanju.

Nov. 24: In night operations, 98th BW bombed Taechon airfield and the marshaling yard at Tongchon and flew five close support sorties; 307th BW bombed the marshaling yard at Hambusong-ji; and 19th BG bombed Namsi airfield, the Hoeyang highway bridge, and the marshaling yards at Munchon and Hambusong-ji.

Nov. 27: Maj. Richard D. Creighton, 4th FIG, shot down a MiG to become the fourth ace of the war.

Nov. 28: Representatives of all intelligence gathering organizations in Korea met at Far East Command, Liaison Division, to discuss how to coordinate their activities. Capt. Donald Nichols represented Det. 2, 6004th Air Intelligence Service Squadron. The conference resulted in the establishment of the Combined Command for Reconnaissance Activities in Korea.

Nov. 30: In one of the largest aerial battles of the war, F-86 pilots of the 4th FIG engaged over the island of Taehwa-do 44 enemy aircraft flying south to bomb a UN target. The Sabre pilots destroyed 12 and damaged three others. Maj. George A. Davis Jr., 334th FIS, achieved Korean War ace status by downing a Tu-2 and a MiG-15. He was the first to be an ace in two wars, since he had been an ace in World War II, as well. Maj. Winton W. Marshall, 335th FIS, also became an ace, destroying an La-9 and a Tu-2. Enemy forces attacked Taehwa-do, north of Cho-do, forcing friendly forces to retreat to Cho-do. Fifth Air Force aircraft dislodged the enemy, enabling friendly forces to retake the island.

Dec. 3: Enemy jets made their first air-ground attack of the war, bombing and strafing UN ground positions near Chorwon, almost 60 miles northeast of Seoul.

Dec. 13: Twenty-nine F-86s encountered 75 MiG-15s over Sinanju, and in a wild melee the F-86 pilots shot down nine MiGs, giving USAF pilots a total of 13 aerial victories for the day.

Dec. 14: In the night, 19th BG B-29s inflicted severe damage on marshaling yards at Maengjung-dong.

Dec. 19: The 307th BW sent 10 B-29s to bomb marshaling yards at Chongju.

Dec. 21: Fifth Air Force units flew 530 sorties, making 30 cuts in the main rail line between Sinanju and Sukchon and attacking a supply complex near Kunu-ri.

Dec. 24: In a typical nighttime mission, B-29s from the 98th BW cratered the runway at Taechon airfield and bombed the railroad bridge at Sinanju.

Dec. 27: FEAF aircraft flew 900 sorties, the largest number of the month, damaging or destroying locomotives, railcars, buildings, vehicles, and gun positions.


Jan. 12: F-84s caught three supply trains at Sunchon, racing for the shelter of a tunnel. They blasted the tunnel mouth shut, trapping the trains in the open, then destroyed the boxcars and at least two locomotives.

Jan. 12/13: Ten Okinawa-based Superfortresses dropped 396 high-explosive 500-pound bombs on the railroad bridge east of Sinanju across the Chongchong River, rendering the bridge unserviceable.

Jan. 25: A helicopter rescued a downed airman, near the coastline of the Yellow Sea, while F-84s strafed enemy troops in the area. Escorting F-86s destroyed three MiG-15s during the pickup. In other air-to-air combat, UN jets destroyed six and damaged four Communist aircraft.

Jan. 26: A rescue helicopter, behind enemy lines near the coastline of the Yellow Sea, received small-arms fire while rescuing an F-84 pilot, Capt. A.T. Thawley.

Feb. 9: In a typical mission, 10 medium bombers used radar-aiming methods to drop 100 tons of 500-pound bombs, rendering the north bypass Chongju rail bridge unserviceable.

Feb. 10: Leading a flight of three F-86s on a patrol near the Manchurian border, Maj. George A. Davis Jr. engaged 12 MiG-15s in aerial combat. Davis shot down two enemy aircraft and completely disrupted the enemy formation, but the MiGs destroyed his aircraft as well. Because he executed his attack against superior numbers and successfully protected the fighter-bombers his flight had been escorting, Davis posthumously received the Medal of Honor for his valor.

Feb. 16-22: MiG-15 pilots flew close to 1,400 sorties this week.

Feb. 17: Fifth Air Force flew an impressive 695 sorties, cratering rail tracks in more than 50 locations, damaging a locomotive and 15 railcars north of Huichon, strafing a convoy of trucks near Sinanju, and destroying supply buildings and dumps between Kumsong and Sibyon-ni.

Feb. 19: The Communists flew approximately 389 MiG-15 sorties, the largest aerial effort to date. In aerial combat, USAF pilots destroyed three enemy aircraft.

Feb. 23: By shooting down a MiG-15, Maj. William T. Whisner Jr., 25th FIS, achieved ace status.

Feb. 26: Ten Superfortresses, using radar-aiming methods, dropped 100 tons of bombs on the Sinhung-dong railroad bridge near Huichon in north central Korea, knocking out two spans. Col. Cecil H. Childre replaced Henebry as commander, 315th Air Division.

March 5: While jet fighters stilled enemy anti-aircraft fire, a USAF helicopter lowered a hoist sling and rescued a downed USN pilot in the vicinity of Yongyon.

March 11: Fighter-bombers dropped 150 tons of bombs and approximately 33,000 gallons of napalm on a four-square-mile supply storage and troop training area near Sinmak. Fifth Air Force operations officers reported this to be the most intensive napalm attack on a single area in the war.

March 11/12: Ten B-29s struck the Sinchang-ni choke point, 10 miles east of Sunchon, with 91 tons of high explosives, rendering the point unpassable.

March 15: Brig. Gen. Wiley D. Ganey replaced Kelly as commander, Bomber Command.

March 20: In the Sui-ho Reservoir area, MiG-15s attacked a USAF patrol. The F-86 pilots destroyed five MiGs and damaged approximately 13 others.

March 25: Fifth Air Force flew 959 sorties, concentrating on interdiction of the rail line from Sinanju to Chongju and making approximately 142 cuts in the track. Some aircraft struck the Sunchon-Pyongyang highway, scoring 27 hits.

March 27: A helicopter crew, learning that Chinese troops had captured a downed US pilot near Pyoksong, made several low passes, enabling him to escape. While one helicopter crew member fired at the Chinese soldiers with a rifle, others lowered a hoist and rescued the pilot.

March 31/April 1: Bomber Command B-29s flew 29 sorties, approximately twice the normal rate, mostly against the Sinhung-dong rail bridge and Kwaksan railroad track.

April 1: Fifth Air Force Sabre pilots destroyed 10 MiGs while losing one F-86. Col. Francis S. Gabreski, commander, 51st FIW, destroyed a MiG to become the eighth jet ace of the war.

April 3: In aerial combat, Capt. Robert H. Moore, 336th FIS, destroyed his fifth MiG to become an ace.

April 6: In air-to-air operations, Capt. Iven C. Kincheloe Jr., 25th FIS, destroyed a MiG, becoming the war's 10th ace.

April 10: Brig. Gen. Chester E. McCarty assumed command of the 315th for the remainder of the war.

April 14: The first Air Force Reserve wing ordered to active duty service, the 403rd TCW (Medium), arrived at Ashiya. An SA-16 of the 3rd ARS, while under enemy small-arms fire from the shoreline, rescued a US naval aviator from the water.

April 21: In aerial combat, Capt. Robert J. Love, 335th FIS, destroyed two MiGs to become an ace.

April 22: Because of shortage of fighter-bombers, 5th Air Force assigned Sabres of the 4th FIW and 51st FIW a new commitment-the armed reconnaissance of enemy lines of communication.

April 26: In air-to-air operations, Maj. William H. Wescott, 51st FIG, destroyed his fifth MiG in four weeks to become the war's 12th ace.

April 28: An H-19 helicopter of the 3rd ARS picked up a downed Royal Netherlands air force Sea Fury pilot. It was the second time in three weeks that the same pilot had been picked up by a 3rd ARS helicopter.

April 29-30: Unrelated crashes of a C-47, a C-119, and a C-46 claimed the lives of 16 people, the greatest loss for the 315th Air Division in the first half of 1952.

May 3: Sabre pilots destroyed five MiG-15s, with Maj. Donald E. Adams, 16th FIS, destroying two and Capt. Robert T. Latshaw Jr., 335th FIS, downing another to increase the number of aces to 14.

May 4: Twenty-five F-86s strafed and destroyed five of 24 Yak-9s parked in revetments at Sinuiju airfield.

May 8: In the first of four major interdiction strikes, 5th Air Force fighter-bombers flew approximately 465 sorties against the enemy supply depot at Suan, located about 40 miles southeast of Pyongyang, in the largest one-day attack since the war began. Over a 13-hour period, the UN pilots damaged or destroyed more than 200 supply buildings, personnel shelters, revetments, vehicles, and gun positions. Enemy anti-aircraft fire downed an F-86 on a dive-bombing strike against the Kunu-ri marshaling yards, the first loss of a Sabre on a fighter-bomber sortie.

May 12: Gen. Mark W. Clark, USA, replaced Ridgway as CINC, UN Command and Far East Command.

May 13: Fifth Air Force Sabres destroyed five MiG-15s in aerial combat. In the morning, 12 F-86s attacked targets in Sinuiju and Sinuiju and Uiju airfields. In early afternoon, Sabres struck the marshaling yards at Kunu-ri and, in late afternoon, bombed Sinuiju with 1,000-pound bombs. Unfortunately, Col. Walker M. Mahurin, commander, 4th FIG, who had led all three missions, was shot down and captured.

May 15: Fifth Air Force fighter-bombers flew 265 sorties against a vehicle repair factory at Tang-dong, north of Pyongyang, destroying at least 39 buildings and a power plant. First Lt. James H. Kasler, 335th FIS, destroyed two MiGs to become an ace.

May 16-17: In an outstanding example of emergency unit movement by air, 315th C-119, C-54, and C-46 aircraft transported 2,361 members of the 187th Airborne Regimental Combat Team and combat equipment, vehicles, and supplies from Japan to Pusan. The team quelled rioting POWs at Koje-do, where the UN Command had established a large POW compound.

May 18: An SA-16 amphibian from the 3rd ARS, while under fire from the enemy shoreline, rescued a downed F-84 pilot.

May 20: Col. Harrison R. Thyng, commander, 4th FIW, destroyed his fifth MiG to become the 16th jet ace of the war.

May 22: Fifth Air Force flew 472 fighter-bomber sorties against the Kijang-ni industrial area southwest of Pyongyang to destroy more than 90 percent of the complex, which produced hand grenades, small arms, and ammunition.

May 23: In the last of four major interdiction strikes, 5th Air Force flew 275 fighter-bomber sorties against a steel factory complex in the Kijang-ni area, destroying 80 percent of the target. Because of poor weather, an H-19 helicopter from 3rd ARS flew most of a sortie on instruments and picked up a downed Marine Corps AD-2 pilot-one of the first instances of a primarily instruments helicopter rescue.

May 23/24: B-26s seeded the Kijang-ni area with delayed-action bombs to hamper repair efforts.

May 26: The 315th Air Division received its first Globemaster as two squadrons began the conversion from C-54 to C-124 aircraft.

May 26/27: Ten B-29s from the 19th BG attacked the Sinhung-dong rail bridge, destroying one locomotive, 16 boxcars, 350 linear feet of the bridge, and nearly 400 feet of track on the approaches.

May 30: Lt. Gen. Glenn O. Barcus replaced Everest as commander, 5th Air Force.

June 4: An H-19 helicopter of 3rd ARS picked up a downed British pilot, encountering automatic weapons fire during the rescue.

June 6: Fifth Air Force Sabres destroyed eight MiGs in aerial combat, the highest daily tally for the month.

June 7: In initiation of an air refueling test, code-named Operation Hightide, 35 F-84 Thunderjets took off from Japan, refueled from KB-29M aircraft over Korea, and attacked targets in the north.

June 9: A 3rd ARS H-19 helicopter picked up a downed UN pilot, encountering moderate small-arms fire en route.

June 10/11: Eight 19th BG B-29s attacked the rail bridge at Kwaksan. Enemy MiGs, operating in conjunction with radar-controlled searchlights and flak, destroyed two B-29s and badly damaged a third. This new development in the enemy's air defense system prompted FEAF to improve electronic countermeasures to jam and confuse enemy radar.

June 14: Following reconnaissance flights that indicated repairs at the Pyongyang airfield, 5th Air Force fighter-bombers cratered the runways, rendering them unserviceable in approximately 150 sorties without a loss.

June 15: In aerial combat, 2nd Lt. James F. Low, 335th FIS, destroyed his fifth MiG, becoming an ace just six months after completing flight training.

June 19/20: B-29s flew 35 sorties against North Korean targets, nearly three times the nightly average for the month. Twenty-seven medium bombers attacked the Huichon rail bridge.

June 23: Fifth Air Force fighter-bombers, with F-86 cover, flew approximately 250 sorties against North Korean hydroelectric power plants. The Sui-ho complex sustained 70 percent structural damage, rendering it nonoperational.

June 24: FEAF flew 1,043 sorties, the highest daily total for the month. Fifth Air Force fighter-bombers flew more than 250 sorties against North Korean hydroelectric power plants, four of them having been targets the previous day.

June 24/25: Twenty-six B-29s flew close air support sorties, one of the largest such medium bomber missions since the early days of the war. Fifth Air Force fighter-bombers rendered temporarily unserviceable the Samdong-ni rail complex, the choke point of the east-west and north-south rail lines in North Korea. Night-flying B-26s seeded the area with delayed-action bombs to hamper repair efforts.

June 30: The first two aircrews of the 374th TCW completed their proficiency checks in the C-124 Globemaster.

July 3: McCarty, 315th Air Division commander, flew the 374th TCW's first operational C-124 from Japan to Korea. In 13 sorties over enemy territory, C-47s dropped more than 22 million leaflets, over one-sixth of all dropped during the month.

July 4: Approximately 53 MiGs, some piloted by Soviets, attacked some 50 F-86s and 70 F-84s during a raid on the North Korean military academy at Sakchu near the Yalu. Fifth Air Force pilots downed 13 MiG-15s at a cost of two Sabres. Although four MiGs succeeded in passing through the protective fighter screen, they failed to destroy any fighter-bombers. Bombing results were poor, however.

July 10: Beginning this date, over the next three weeks the 315th airlifted the 474th FBW from Misawa to Kunsan, the largest unit movement by air to date.

July 11: FEAF flew 1,329 sorties, the highest daily total for the month. In the first raid of Operation Pressure Pump, nearly every operational air unit in the Far East attacked 30 targets in Pyongyang, in the largest single strike so far of the war. Attacking aircraft destroyed three targets, including the North Korean Ministry of Industry. Most others sustained heavy damage.

July 11/12: As part of Pressure Pump, B-29s flew 71 effective sorties, more than 50 against the Pyongyang supply area.

July 13: FEAF initiated a new general-warning leaflet-drop program over enemy territory. The new leaflet identified specific towns and targets to be destroyed by air attacks.

July 15: Fifth Air Force fighter-bombers flew approximately 175 sorties against the Sungho-ri cement plant and a nearby locomotive repair facility.

July 20: Fifty-eight F-84Gs of the 31st FEW arrived in Japan, the first large-scale Pacific crossing of jet fighters using in-flight refueling.

July 30: Following extended heavy rains, helicopters of the 3rd ARS carried approximately 650 flood-stranded US military members and Koreans to safety. Flying more than 100 sorties, five large H-19s transported some 600 evacuees, while two H-5s carried the rest. In the I Corps sector, two H-5s flew more than 30 sorties to rescue 60 flood-stranded Koreans and US soldiers.

July 30/31: In one of the largest medium bomber raids against a single target, 60 B-29s destroyed a noteworthy 90 percent of the Oriental Light Metals Co. facility, only four miles from the Yalu River. The B-29s achieved the unusually extensive destruction of the target in spite of encountering the largest nighttime counterair effort to date by the enemy. The attacking bombers suffered no losses.

Aug. 6: Fifth Air Force pilots observed an estimated 250 MiGs, the largest daily total since April 1. In the major air-to-air battle of the month, 34 F-86s destroyed six of 52 MiG-15s. FEAF organized Det. 3, 6004th Air Intelligence Service Squadron, to increase effectiveness of evasion and escape techniques by downed airmen. The detachment continued ongoing experiments, such as "snatching" downed personnel by especially equipped C-47s. It also emphasized aircrew training in emergency procedures, the use of radios and survival equipment, and helicopter rescue procedures.

Aug. 7-8: Capt. Clifford D. Jolley, 335th FIS, destroyed three additional MiGs in two days to become the 18th ace of the war.

Aug. 8: Fifth Air Force fighters flew 285 close air support sorties, the highest daily total for the month. Indicative of FEAF's increased use of propaganda, at night B-26s flew three voice-broadcast sorties totaling almost four hours over enemy-held positions near the east coast.

Aug. 15: The 315th transported 300 medical evacuees, the highest daily total for the month.

Aug. 19/20: FEAF aircraft dropped general-warning leaflets over Pyongyang concerning the next night's attacks.

Aug. 20/21: Thirty-eight B-29s bombed supply areas of the enemy's capital, the highest number of medium bomber sorties against a single target this month.

Aug. 22-23: On successive nights, three C-47s flew 60-minute voice-broadcast sorties near the front lines, indicating a greater emphasis by UN Command on psychological war.

Aug. 29: At the request of the US Department of State, FEAF conducted against Pyongyang the largest air attack to date as a dramatic military action during a visit by China's foreign minister, Chou En-lai, to the Soviet Union. The State Department hoped that the attack might lead the Soviets to urge the Chinese to accept an armistice rather than expend further Communist resources in the war. FEAF aircraft, protected by USAF Sabres and RAAF Meteors, flew approximately 1,400 air-to-ground sorties. The 31 targets sustained moderate to severe damage, but 5th Air Force lost three aircraft to ground fire.

Aug. 31: The 31st FEW, stationed at Misawa, completed the last phase of the USAF air refueling test program, Operation Hightide, begun in June.

Sept. 3/4: B-29s flew 52 effective sorties, the monthly high, and all but two against the Chosin hydroelectric power plant complex.

Sept. 4: Seventy-five fighter-bombers flew well north of the Chongchon River to attack targets, flushing out an estimated 89 MiGs from their Manchurian bases. The 39 Sabres screening the F-84s engaged the MiGs, destroying 13, to equal the one-day records set on Dec. 13, 1951, and July 4. Four F-86s fell to the MiG pilots. Maj. Frederick C. Blesse, 334th FIS, destroyed his fifth enemy aircraft to become an ace. An H-19 from the 3rd ARS rescued a downed fighter pilot and two crewmen of a USN helicopter, which had lost power and crashed in the water while attempting to pick up the pilot.

Sept. 5: In two daylight strikes, FEAF flew more than 200 sorties against an ore-processing plant located northeast of Sinanju, damaging or destroying approximately 70 buildings and repair shops.

Sept. 9: Protected by F-86s, 45 F-84s attacked the North Korean military academy at Sakchu. Of approximately 64 MiGs in the area, some penetrated the Sabre screen, shot down three Thunderjets, and forced several flights to jettison their bombs. The F-86s suffered no losses during the aerial combat and destroyed five MiGs.

Sept. 12/13: Twenty-five B-29s attacked the generator building at the giant Sui-ho power plant. Prior to and during the attack, USAF B-26s and USN aircraft dropped low-level fragmentation bombs to suppress enemy searchlights, rendering eight of approximately 30 unserviceable. At the same time, four B-29s orbiting to the east jammed enemy radar. Enemy fighters shot down one medium bomber and flak damaged several others, but the B-29s dropped their bombs on target, again rendering the plant unserviceable. FEAF concluded that searchlight suppression and electronic countermeasures probably had saved the B-29s from greater losses.

Sept. 15: To improve air-ground coordination and mutual understanding between the US Air Force and the US Army, 5th Air Force commander Barcus began sending groups of 15 pilots at a time on three-day tours to the front lines.

Sept. 16: Fifth Air Force flew 110 B-26 sorties, the high figure for the month, mostly night armed reconnaissance and interdiction. Using the recently developed roadblock tactics, the light bombers damaged or destroyed more than 100 enemy vehicles.

Sept. 19: In the first daylight medium bomber raid in 11 months, 32 B-29s with F-86 escorts attacked an enemy barracks and two supply areas southwest of Hamhung. An RB-45 preceded the B-29 formation, and an RB-29 orbited in the assembly area, providing weather information.

Sept. 21: Sabre pilot Capt. Robinson Risner, 336th FIS, destroyed two MiG-15s to become an ace when the enemy responded to an attack on the Pukchong munitions plant by 41 F-84s.

Sept. 27: At night, three B-26s flew in the central sector loudspeaker sorties totaling 3.5 hours, an unusually high amount of broadcast time.

Sept. 29: Fifth Air Force fighter-bombers flew against enemy bunkers and gun positions 207 close air support sorties, the highest figure this month and well above the daily average.

Sept. 30/Oct. 1: Including five electronic countermeasures flak suppression aircraft, 48 B-29s from three units-19th BG, 98th BW, and 307th BW-destroyed the last strategic-type target in Korea, the Namsan-ni chemical plant located 1,300 feet from the Yalu River and near the Sui-ho dam. During the bombing, seven B-26s swept in at low altitudes to suppress eight of some 40 searchlights.

Oct. 4: Brig. Gen. William P. Fisher succeeded Ganey as commander, Bomber Command.

Oct. 5: Fifth Air Force combined attacks with USN aircraft against barracks and supplies of the Chinese 67th Army at Loeyang.

Oct. 7: Fifth Air Force fighter pilots and USN aviators attacked the CCF 26th Army at Yongpyongni.

Oct. 8: To support the Kojo amphibious hoax, 10 B-29s of the 98th BW conducted a rare daylight visual bombing mission on the supply area at Kowon in eastern Korea in coordination with USN fighter-bomber attacks. Truce talks at Panmunjom recessed over the issue of forced repatriation of POWs. The UN delegates proposed to allow enemy POWs to choose repatriation or not; the Communist delegates insisted on the repatriation of all POWs at the end of the war.

Oct. 9: Fighter-bombers attacked widely scattered Communist communications centers from Huichon in North Korea south to the bomb line. Fifth Air Force aircraft inflicted heavy casualties on a Communist regiment, delaying its commitment to the enemy attack under way.

Oct. 12: An SA-16 pilot, 3rd ARS, participated in two rescues within 30 minutes and more than 100 miles apart. After directing a helicopter pickup of a downed Sabrejet pilot, the SA-16 pilot landed in the Haeju Harbor and, while overhead fighters suppressed ground fire from the shore, picked up from a dinghy a 69th FBS pilot who had parachuted from his burning F-84.

Oct. 12-14: The 315th conducted paratroop-drop exercises with the 187th Airborne Regimental Combat Team as part of the Kojo deception.

Oct. 12/13: Twenty-six B-29s from all three medium bombardment units struck nine separate troop concentrations on Haeju Peninsula.

Oct. 13: In preparation for the Kojo amphibious demonstration, FEAF and USN aircraft hit enemy positions around Kojo, and USN surface craft shelled the beach area. After a respite of almost a year, the enemy, using small fabric-covered biplanes, hassled Cho-do and the Seoul area with "Bedcheck Charlie" raids.

Oct. 15: For the amphibious Kojo hoax, assault troops climbed down to assault landing craft, which made a pass at the shore then returned to the ship. In addition, 32 C-119s, 403rd TCW, flew to Chorwon, let down to paradrop altitude of 800 feet, then returned to Taegu.

Oct. 16: North Korea sent a strongly worded protest to Far East Command concerning the recess in armistice negotiations but continued to insist on total repatriation of Chinese and North Korean POWs.

Oct. 24: Fifth Air Force and Eighth Army completed a successful 30-day test in IX Corps area of a new flak-suppression technique that allowed friendly artillery to continue firing while close support strikes were in progress.

Oct. 25: Fifth Air Force B-26s and fighter-bombers attacked the Kumgang political school, starting fires and almost completely destroying the installation.

Oct. 27: Fifth Air Force aviation engineers completed a heavy-duty runway for combat cargo operations at the Seoul municipal airport.

Oct. 31: North Korea presented a new POW camp list.

Nov. 1: Fifth Air Force fighter-bombers attacked three railroad bridges at Yongmi-dong. The 61st TCG began to phase its C-54s out of the airlift in preparation for the group's return to the US.

Nov. 4: Dwight D. Eisenhower, having campaigned on a promise to seek an end to the Korean War, was elected President. FEAF photographic surveillance showed the three railroad bridges at Yongmi-dong again in serviceable condition and two bypass bridges nearing completion.

Nov. 5: Typhoon conditions on Okinawa forced cancellation of all scheduled B-29 missions.

Nov. 6: On a return attack against the Yongmi-dong railroad bridges, 100 fighter-bombers found that the enemy had moved in anti-aircraft artillery and begun to build a fifth bypass bridge.

Nov. 10: The 315th air evacuated the 250,000th patient from Korea to Japan.

Nov. 12/13: Six B-29s of the 98th BW knocked four spans out of Pyongyang's restored railway bridges.

Nov. 13/14: Five B-29s from the 307th BW in an experimental attack used incendiary clusters against the Sopo supply area but obtained poor results.

Nov. 15: In the first fatal accident of 315th's airlift of rest and recreation passengers, a 403rd TCW C-119, returning 40 travelers to Korea, crashed in Japan, killing all on board.

Nov. 16: USMC aircraft attached to 5th Air Force attacked hydroelectric facilities at Kongosan.

Nov. 17: USAF fighter-bombers attacked hydroelectric facilities at Kongosan. Col. Royal N. Baker, commander, 4th FIG, flying in MiG Alley with the 335th FIS, scored his fifth MiG kill.

Nov. 18: When USN Task Force 77 attacked the North Korean border town of Hoeryong in the far northeast, unmarked but obviously Russian MiG-15s flying from Vladivostok attempted to attack the fleet. Carrier-based F9F aircraft engaged several MiGs and downed one of them. In MiG Alley, 334th FIS pilot Capt. Leonard W. Lilley scored his fifth MiG kill.

Nov. 18/19: Six B-29s from the 98th BW attacked the Sonchon supply center, 35 miles from the Manchurian border. On this night, weather in the target area was clear, and enemy interceptors used new tactics to shoot down one B-29. The enemy dropped flares so that searchlights could lock on the bomber, and four fighter passes riddled it, forcing its crew to abandon ship over Cho-do.

Nov. 19: The 49th and 58th FBWs, in two separate strikes totaling 179 aircraft, attacked a troop and supply concentration at Kanggye. An Eighth Army-5th Air Force indoctrination team completed a tour begun in late October to brief key Eighth Army officers on the nature and functioning of the air-ground system.

Nov. 22: The 8th FBW lost two F-80s to ground fire during close support missions for IX Corps. One of the pilots, Maj. Charles J. Loring Jr., leading a flight of four F-80s, was hit near Sniper Ridge by enemy ground fire. He deliberately crashed his aircraft into the midst of enemy gun emplacements, destroying them completely. Loring was posthumously awarded the Medal of Honor. In MiG Alley, 16th FIS pilot 1st Lt. Cecil G. Foster scored his fifth MiG kill to add his name to the list of aces.

Nov. 28/29: All three medium bomber units at 45-minute intervals hit at Sinuiju and Uiju targets defended by approximately 116 heavy guns, 94 of which were radar-controlled, and 40 searchlights, as well as enemy interceptors. Preceding the attacks, five B-26s flew flak-suppression missions. Fourteen B-29s bombed Sinuiju airfield, six struck the Sinuiju locomotive repair facilities, 10 hit the Uiju airfield, and four attacked the Uiju communications center. In spite of clear weather, using electronic countermeasures equipment and chaff, the B-29s escaped losses in a generally successful mission.

Dec. 2-5: President-elect Eisenhower toured the front in Korea and met with South Korean President Syngman Rhee.

Dec. 2-7: Bomber Command increased from one to three the number of B-29s allocated for radar-directed bombing in front of IX Corps during the battle for Sniper Ridge north of Kumhwa.

Dec. 3: F-86 pilots engaged enemy swept-wing jets in strength in the Pyongyang area for the first time since Aug. 9.

Dec. 5: Shortly after 9 p.m., enemy aircraft dropped three bombs on Cho-do, causing no damage in the fifth reported attack on this installation.

Dec. 6: New flak-suppression technique across the Eighth Army front became effective for close support sorties.

Dec. 11: A fully loaded B-26 of the 3rd BW caught fire at Kunsan airfield and exploded. The accident soon destroyed three other B-26s and caused major damage to six F-84s of the co-located 474th FBW.

Dec. 17: Two F-86 Sabre pilots claimed the first sighting of the enemy's IL-28 twin-jet bombers, one having crossed the Yalu River a few miles south of the Sui-ho reservoir, escorted by two MiG-15s, while the other remained over Manchuria.

Dec. 19: Photoreconnaissance of the Pyongyang main airfield revealed the presence of three aircraft, the first observed there since October 1951.

Dec. 21: The 366th Engineering Aviation Battalion completed a new landing strip at Pusan East.

Dec. 22: An SA-16 crew landed in an inlet near Haeju, a North Korean port just north of the 38th parallel on the Yellow Sea, and rescued a downed HMS Glory Sea Fury pilot in his dinghy. The only fatal aeromedical evacuation accident of the war occurred when a Royal Hellenic air force C-47 transporting patients collided with an F-80 jet fighter-bomber at Suwon.

Dec. 27-31: The 581st Air Resupply and Communications Wing (ARCW) flight of four H-19 helicopters at Seoul flew several experimental agent-insertion sorties into enemy territory for covert and clandestine intelligence activities.

Dec. 28: An SA-16 crew of the 3rd ARS picked up a downed pilot in the Yellow Sea north of Cho-do. He was in the water less than three minutes.

Dec. 29/30: Eleven B-29s of the 307th BW attacked the Teagam-ni headquarters area, destroying 146 buildings.

Dec. 30: As a part of Project Spotlight, an RB-26 located five locomotives in one marshaling yard, and two B-26 light bombers destroyed four and damaged the fifth.

Dec. 30/31: The 19th BG bombed the Choak-tong ore-processing plant near the Yalu. Aided by a full moon and a signaling aircraft, enemy interceptors downed one B-29 and damaged two others so badly that they were forced to land at Suwon.

Source: Air Force Magazine October 2000




Click to return to the: